FEC cancels 25th anniversary


“It is in the best interest for the health and safety of our community members that we make this decision."

Aug. 23, 2021 —Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases in the area and the Lane County advisory on events issued Aug. 21, the City of Florence announced that the Florence Events Center 25 Year Celebration has been canceled.

According to a post about the canceled event on Facebook, event center staff wrote, “We will find ways throughout the year to celebrate the FEC and our community. We greatly appreciate the sponsors who provided support for this event. Thank you for your understanding and support. 

The announcement came Monday, just two days before the event had been planned for Aug. 25. The event would have been held outdoors, and would have included live music and a corn hole tournament.

“As you can imagine, we are all disappointed that we need to cancel this event,” said Assistant City Manager Megan Messmer. “It is in the best interest for the health and safety of our community members that we make this decision.”

Since the city had already purchased food and supplies for the event, Messmer said staff are creating a plan to “share that with the community.”

“We look forward to a time that we can come together and celebrate all our community has to offer,” she said. “In order to do so, we need to be healthy. Please help us take care of our friends and neighbors by following the public health guidelines so that we can get together soon.”

For more information about the City of Florence, visit www.ci.florence.or.us. For more information about the Florence Events Center, visit www.eventcenter.org.

TRENDING RECIPE VIDEOS