March 2020 — In light of Oregon Gov. Kate Brown’s edict on March 12 restricting large gatherings to 250 people or less, local events are be cancelled or postponed. These are primarily due to community concerns about the highly contagious novel coronavirus known as COVID-19, which currently has more than 20 confirmed cases in Oregon, though none have been confirmed in Lane County. This page, and all of those in our coronavirus webpage, are open to everyone regardless of whether they are subscribers or not. Please share this link with anyone who would like to have updated information.
The following is a list of cancellations and postponements that will be updated as we receive them at the Siuslaw News throughout the day, each day. Check back frequently for new additions to the list to see if your event is still taking place:
• March 13 — Governor Kate Brown has announced a statewide closure of Oregon K-12 schools from Monday, March 16 through Tuesday, March 31.
• March 13 — Head Start of Lane County will suspend all classroom services for Head Start for the week before Spring Break, Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 20.
• March 13 — Out of an abundance of caution, and because we host visitors from around the world, our Visitors’ Center will be closed until further notice as all of our volunteers who staff the center are considered members of the most vulnerable groups. In addition, Business After Hours on March 19 and April 2 have been cancelled. We will assess future Chamber events and proceed as conditions allow. — Bettina Hannigan, Florence Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
• March 12 — Children’s Repertory of Oregon Workshops (CROW) has cancelled rehearsals and dance practices through May, including the Spring Dance Showcase and the audition scheduled for March 14. Contact crowkids.com for more info.
• March 12 — The Better Living Center, south of town run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church where everything is free to those in need, is closed until April 15.
• March 12 — Laurelwood Community Center, 1137 Maple St. in Florence, has cancelled all gatherings.
• March 13 — The Cape Perpetua Winter Speaker Series is postponing its March presentations. For more info, visit CapePerpetuaCollaborative.org.
• March 13 — Siuslaw Public Library made the decision to temporarily close both the Florence, 1460 9th St., and Mapleton, 88148 Riverview Ave., locations. The closure will continue through at least March 20. All meetings and events scheduled during the closure are cancelled, including AARP Tax- Aide. For more info, visit siuslawlibrary.info.
• March 13 — All group exercises classes at Coastal Fitness, 2285 Highway 101, are cancelled until further notice. For more info, contact www.mycoastalfitness.com.
• March 13 — Effective Saturday, March 14, all visitation at Oregon Youth Authority youth correctional facilities and transitional camps statewide is canceled until further notice.
• March 13 — As of Friday, Children’s Repertory of Oregon Workshops has decided to postpone its spring production of “Mary Poppins” at the Florence Events Center until July 17, 18, 19 and 24, 25, 26. For more info, visit crowkids.com.
• March 13 — All United Methodist churches close for two weeks. The Florence United Methodist church will not be holding services Sunday March 15 or Sunday March 22.
• March 15 — Oregon Coast Aquarium is temporarily closed to the public for two weeks, effective March 15, beginning at 5 p.m., through March 27.
• March 16 — The Siuslaw Pioneer Museum will be closed until April 2.
• March 16 — Pregnancy and Parenting Center is closing the center through March 30. This temporary closure includes scheduled pregnancy and parenting appointments,Wednesday playgroup, and Well Mama's Coastal Babies support group. We will be available to provide services on an individual basis in case of urgent need and will be available to schedule appointments for April. For more information, call 541-999-2427.
• March 16 — American Legion meetings are cancelled for the rest of March.
• March 17 — City Lights Cinemas has suspended operations until further notice.
• March 17 — All restaurants, bars and locations in Oregon where food is served is now limited to takeout and pick-up only.
• March 23 — The Siuslaw Pioneer Museum, research library and events cancelled until further notice.
• March 23 — Heceta Water is closed to the public but is taking emails and phone calls. Someone will be here to answer the phone during general business hours or just email them.
• March 25 — The Mapleton Lions Club is cancelling the upcoming Easter Egg Hunt on April 11 and the Easter Breakfast on April 12.
• March 24 — Under the Governor’s March 23 “Stay Home, Save Lives” Executive Order, only six Oregon DMV offices will be open, by appointment only, for commercial driver knowledge tests and commercial driver license issuance beginning Wednesday, March 25. Many DMV services remain available through OregonDMV.com and through the mail. With the exception of commercial driver knowledge tests and commercial driver license issuance, no other services will be available at DMV offices. Limits on public access will be in effect until April 28, unless conditions allow DMV to open more offices sooner.
Events Scheduled for Thursday, March 12:
- All athletic contest at Siuslaw High School are canceled through April 10. Email [email protected] for more info.
- Siuslaw School District Parent-Teacher Conferences are cancelled. Conferences may be rescheduled by phone. All large-scale, after school events are cancelled for the next 30 days. Visit siuslaw.k12.or.us for more info.
- As of March 12, Oregon Coast Chamber Orchestra has cancelled all practices for its Spring Concert Series, originally scheduled to be performed in several coast cities in May. For more info, visit occorchestra.org.
- The Mapleton Book Group at the Mapleton branch of the Siuslaw Public Library, 88148 Riverview Ave., is canceled. Visit siuslawlibrary.info for future alerts.
Events Scheduled for Friday, March 13:
- Siuslaw School District Parent-Teacher Conferences are cancelled. Conferences may be rescheduled by phone. All large-scale, after-school events are cancelled for the next 30 days. Visit siuslaw.k12.or.us for more info.
- Siuslaw 8th Grade Open House and the AVID Celebration are cancelled. All large-scale, after-school events are cancelled for the next 30 days. Visit siuslaw.k12.or.us for more info.
- Mapleton Lions Club postponed its Leprechaun Bingo Night. For more info, call 541-268-4665.
- Dunesday Gaming, 375 Laurel St., announced a short-term closure beginning Friday. For more information, visit DunesdayGaming.com.
Events Scheduled for Saturday, March 14:
- The Rotary Club of Florence will be postponing “The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party” Rotary Auction at the Florence Events Center. Questions can be directed to Rotary Auction co-chairs Kevin McMullen and Kim Erickson at 541-991-7048 or 541-991-2070. Visit www.theflorencerotary.org for more info.
- The Pacific Coast Wind Ensemble Concert scheduled to be held at the Presbyterian Church of the Siuslaw has been canceled. More information, including on concerts in May, can be found at snagglebunnytribe.net/PCWE_Home.
- Wellspring Clinic has decided to postpone its open house, "Live Smart - Be Well" for the health and safety of the community.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Lane County has canceled its Basketball Tournament. For more info on active programs, visit bgcwlc.org.
- The Siuslaw/Rhododendron Elementary Schools Staff Reunion scheduled for Saturday has been canceled.
- Coastal Douglas Arts and Business Alliance (CDABA) has decided to postpone the St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Pub Crawl, set to take place in Reedsport on March 14. See CDABA on Facebook for further information.
Events Scheduled for Sunday, March 15:
- Cross Road Church is postponing the celebration of Pastor Dale and Sherri Edward’s 50 years of ministry. For more info, visit Cross Road Assembly of God, 1380 10th St., or go to crossroadassembly.org.
- Cross Road Assembly of God, 1380 10th St., will not be hosting a Sunday service. There will still be a service and podcast message from Pastor Dale Edwards. For more info, visit crossroadassembly.org.
- Siuslaw Eighth Grade Graduation Party Committee’s “I Feel Lucky” Family Bingo Night has been postponed. Call 541-520-1255 for more info.
- Wellspring Clinic, 1845 Highway 126, in Park Place, is postponing its “Live Smart — Be Well” Community Open House. For more info, email [email protected], call 541-902-8860 or visit TheWellspringClinic.com.
- The Oregon Coast Humane Society Volunteer Appreciation scheduled at The Mustard Seed has been postponed. For more info, check oregoncoasthumanesociety.com.
- Florence Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 87738 Highway 101, will not hold services on Sunday, March 15 or 22. Visit www.FlorenceUUF.com for info.
Events Scheduled for Sunday, March 16:
• The March 16 City Council meeting has been canceled. For the latest City Council and City Schedules, and notices on closures, visit the City's website calendar at https://www.ci.florence.or.us/calendar. For links and more information on local response to COVID-19, visit https://www.ci.florence.or.us/em/covid-19-informational-resources.
Events Scheduled for Tuesday, March 17:
- The Florence Reproductive Health Fair planned to be held at Siuslaw Public Library has been postponed until further notice. For more info, contact [email protected] parentingnow.org.
- The Rotary Club of Florence is not holding its Tuesday noon meeting this week at the Florence Events Center. For more info, visit www.theflorencerotary.org.
- DevNW is no longer hosting its scheduled Home Ownership Information Meeting planned for Florence on March 17. For more info, visit devnw.org.
- Siuslaw Vision is postponing its “Creative People” Celebration, scheduled for March 17. For further updates, visit rivercal.org.
- National Flood Insurance Program’s flood insurance and surveyor workshops scheduled to be held in Florence on March 17 have been cancelled. For more information, visit www.oregon.gov/LCD
- Us TOO Florence has canceled its March 17 prostate cancer support group meeting and both meetings in April. Determination of May meetings will be made at a later date.
Events Scheduled for Wednesday, March 18:
- Florence Kiwanis Club’s “Game of Life: A Reality Check for 8th-Graders” has been postponed. In addition, the group will not hold its usual Wednesday noon meeting. For more info, visit www.florencekiwanis.org.
- North Jetty Community Discussion — the March 18 meeting regarding the North Jetty acquisition is being canceled. It will be rescheduled and the community will be notified when another date has been set.
- The Port of Siuslaw Meeting for March 18 has been cancelled.
Events Scheduled for Thursday, March 19:
• Stroke Recovery Support Meeting — The March meeting will be cancelled. If all goes well, the April meeting will take place.
• Mapleton Food Share has canceled both of its upcoming fundraisers. No card party March 19 and no Bingo on April 11. The events will be rescheduled at a later date.
• The March 19 meeting of the Community and Economic Development Committee (CEDC) has been canceled.
Events Scheduled for Later in March:
- The Siuslaw Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Group will not be meeting in March. The next meeting will be April 21 at 2 p.m. at Siuslaw Public Library. For more info, call 541-902-6059.
- Florence Area Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours are canceled for March 19 and April 2. The Florence Visitor's Center, 290 Highway 101, will be closed until further notice. For more info, visit florencechamber.com.
- Siuslaw Public Library's Helfand Concert scheduled for March 21 has been canceled. Visit siuslawlibrary.info for future alerts.
- Siuslaw Watershed Council: The special viewing of award winning film "Beaver Believer" at City Lights Cinema on Tuesday, March 31, has been cancelled.
- The Siuslaw Pioneer Museum is postponing its March 27 Story time and will reschedule for a future date.
- Oregon Coast Humane Society’s scheduled membership meeting regarding Board Nominations on March 21 is postponed. A new time and location to be announced. For more info, visit oregoncoasthumanesociety.com.
- The Yachats Arts & Crafts Fair scheduled for March 21-22 has been postponed. For more info, visit Yachats Area Chamber of Commerce at yachats.org.
- Oregon State Parks has canceled its volunteer-driven Whale Spoken Here program for Spring Whale Watch Week, March 21-29. People may still venture out to track whale migration. For more info, visit oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=thingstodo.dsp_whalewatching.
- Siuslaw Watershed Council, in partnership with McKenzie River Trust and City Lights Cinemas, has cancelled the film presentation of “The Beaver Believers” for March 31. For info on future watershed events, visit siuslaw.org.
- The MainlyPiano House Concert Series, hosted by Kathy Parsons, will postpone its March 22 concert featuring Eric Tingstad. For more info, visit mainlypiano.com.
- FURA Meeting cancelled for March — The March 19 meeting of the Florence Urban Renewal Agency meeting has been canceled.
Events Scheduled for April:
- The Florence Area Community Coalition (FACC) annual Volunteer Recognition Event, scheduled for April 15, has been cancelled, with intent to schedule an event later in 2020. For more info, contact 541-999-2927 or www.florenceareacc.org.
- The Friends of the Florence Events Center have decided to postpone the Curtis Salgado concert scheduled for April 4 at the Florence Events Center. They plan to reschedule in autumn as Salgado's schedule permits.
- Us TOO Men's Prostate Cancer Support Group: Both of the April meetings (14 and 21) have been cancelled.
Regional Events Cancellations and Postponements:
- The Lane County Home & Garden Show scheduled for March 12 to 15 at the Lane Events Center has been canceled. For more info, visit eugenehomeshow.com/our-shows/lane-county-home-garden-show.
Eugene’s Hult Center for the Performing Arts reports that all events with a capacity of 250 or more are postponed for the next 4 weeks, until April 8. For more info, visit www.hultcenter.org/covid19.htm.